: CZ | EN
The Lobkowicz Collections |
Lobkowicz Events Management
Střekov Castle is a romantic ruin perched atop a cliff 85 km north of Prague and is one of one of the most visited cultural monuments in northern Bohemia. The Castle was built in 1316 for John of Luxemburg, father of the Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV, and was constructed to guard the important trade route to Germany. The picturesque property was acquired by the noble Lobkowicz family in 1563 and has remained in private hands since except during the Nazi confiscation and under the Communist regime. Střekov Castle was returned to the Lobkowicz family after a series of restitution laws were passed in the early 1990s and currently welcomes visitors from all around the world.
Střekov Castle is renowned for its impressive views and Goethe declared the view from the property’s perch above the Elbe to be the most beautiful in Central Europe. Richard Wagner’s stay in the Castle is said to have inspired him to write his opera Tannhäuser, and its 1845 premiere received high acclaim in neighboring Dresden.
Today, Střekov Castle contains an historical exhibition that includes reproductions of guns and knights' armor, drawings and pictures of the property, as well as a scale wooden model of the Castle complex. Periodic temporary exhibits are also organized each year.
During the tourist season, guests can pause at the Café Wágnerka and enjoy the spacious terrace with a beautiful view high above the cliffs. Kovárna Restaurant, housed in the original blacksmith’s workshop on the lower Castle courtyard, is open all year round and caters for lunches, dinners and corporate functions and private special events. For more information, please visit Restaurant Kovárna.Corporate functions and private events can also be hosted at the Castle.
To learn more about how to plan your visit to Střekov Castle or plan a private event, contact us via email at email@example.com.
Two masterpieces, the Reliquary Bust of a Female Saint from Jezeří and the Procession Cross from the permanent exhibition in the Lobkowicz Palace at Prague Castle, are on loan to the Open the Gates of Paradise. The Benedictines in the Heart of Europe 800-1300 exhibition, which runs from November 6, 2014 to March 15, 2015 at Waldstein Riding School in Prague.
Read more here.